Dented garage door – A garage door is pretty expensive, especially if it is a wifi-connected one.
Many families see this as a luxury for their homes.
However, this is an excellent investment nowadays.
You cannot find something perfect for security that beautifies your place too.
Repair and replacements will only be your enemy in case it gets broken.
Many reasons could happen. Faulty wires, spring, and openers are just some of them.
Although dents could also occur, this is less serious and straightforward to attend if you know what to do.
In this article, we have rounded some of the best tips to help you.
Find the best solutions to your garage door while understanding how it can be avoided in the future.
How to find dents in your garage door?
When you do your monthly garage door maintenance, do not skimp on checking for any door dents or blemish.
Do not just splash water and soap. Also, do not only concentrate on its internal parts. Its outer look also needs care and love from its owner.
What should I do with the dents?
Before delving into the problem itself, there are still many considerations to take care of your garage door.
What is it made of? The material is an important matter before you go to the garage door repair.
Wood-based doors are harder to repair because they will need professional touch while the aluminium ones can be used with repair materials from your home.
Better check what you have now.
- Prepare some paint, primer, sandpaper, rubber mallet, woodblock, cardboard, putty knife, auto body filler, patching material, standard lighter, aluminium foil, and compressed air. These are what you will need to fix small dents on your garage door. Always remember that these materials are just useful for minor and trim marks.
- Clean the door beforehand. It is better so that the materials to be used for filling could go through it well. Fill a bucket with water and scrub the area with dents. Remove all the dirt and grime. Then, dry it.
- Get the aluminium foil and unroll it. Place some of it on top of the dented place in your garage door. Hold and cut it. Make sure that the sizes cover the whole area.
- Keep the foil in place over the den. Move your hand away from its centre. Place it on the corners because the next step is a little dangerous.
- Grab the lighter and lit it over the foil covering the dent. Do this for 60 seconds in back and forth motion. Make sure that the movement covers everything. It will not be effective if the heat will not hit the general area.
- Once done, remove the foil and get the compressed air. Place it upside down and spray. The motion is made because of the carbon dioxide in the can. It will be the main ingredient for the repair. Hold it for 30 seconds.
- Wait for two minutes before you see the magic! The dented area will supposedly pop back and disappear right after.
- Repeat the same procedure of numbers one and two on option 1. Prepare the materials and clean the dented garage door area first.
- Get the rubber mallet and wooden block. Place the block on the dent. Make sure that it is placed on top of it. Hit it with the mallet until it flattens.
- Put back the two materials and grab some sandpapers now. Use it to scratch the surface of the garage door.
- When the dented area is sanded, put some patch over it. Use the knife to spread the materials all over the place. Let it dry and go back again.
- After the materials dried on the dented garage door’s surface, palace the primer like the same with the patching compound. Let it dry once again.
- Paint the surface after the steps. You will see a superior difference when you check it.
A garage door dents can come in any size, and the smaller ones are always easy to attend. You can even do it yourself. For the bigger ones, do not mind calling a professional. Do not try to mend because it will only go worse.
Common garage door repair related FAQ
How long does it take to replace a garage door?
Roughly 3 to 4 hours, if done properly.
How often should my a garage door be serviced?
Your garage door is a large piece of moving equipment made up of many parts. Some families use their garage door more than their front door. We recommend having your garage door and operator serviced every year in order to ensure a properly working door and operator. The noises your door or operator makes are your initial “warning signs” that something is not quite right. The longer you put off the necessary service, the more damage may result.
How long do garage door springs usually last?
The most common torsion springs have an expected life of about 10,000 cycles (one opening and one closing is a cycle.)
What is the life span of a garage door opener?
The average life span of a door opener can vary from 10 to 20 years depending on the model and usage.