An opener chain offers convenience for overhead doors. After all, it helps in the door’s movement.
It may make a lot of noise during the operation, but it is one of the most reliable opener types invented.
Homeowners use it all the time since it’s easy to use. But you need to maintain it regularly to make sure it’s operating correctly.
If your chain is old, it may break down any time. With this, it’s best to fix the issue right away.
There are many approaches on how to fix a broken garage door opener chain.
It may stem from poor maintenance, or it requires a replacement.
Furthermore, this guide will help you on how to deal with it.
However, if you’re hesitant about doing the repairs by yourself, you can always count on A1 Garage Doors.
We offer 24 7 garage door repairs. Whenever you need us, you can call us, and we’ll go to you right away.
Inspect the Garage Door Chain
Before you attempt to do a garage door chain repair, you need to know the underlying problems.
To do this, make sure to follow the steps below:
- Open and close the door several times to observe the mechanism. If the door gets stuck during the operation, the problem could be the chain drive or the opener motor.
- To narrow down the possible problems, close the door and unplug the motor.
- Inspect the chain if there are visible signs of corrosion.
- Then, check the opener’s carriage assembly and inspect if the nuts and bolts are in good condition.
- Check the motor wiring and make sure it’s providing power to the garage door’s operation.
If you have narrowed down that the chain is the problem, try the different ways on how to fix a broken garage door opener chain, depending on the condition.
Ways to Fix a Garage Door Opener Chain
A broken garage door opener chain can stem from the following reasons. The following will help you to fix it according to different conditions.
Once you see rust and dirt on the chain, it can cause friction in the overhead door’s movement. To prevent this, follow the steps below:
- Apply a lubricant to smoothen out the corrosion. Pour oil on a towel and wipe it to the chain.
- If the chain is heavily corroded, detach the chain from the assembly. Then, soak it in a lubricant for a few hours.
- After soaking it in a lubricant, wipe out the excess with a towel.
Loose chains can cause noise to the operation of your garage door.
It also makes the movement less efficient because it forces the opener to do the work. It can result in your door jumping off the track as well.
Here are the steps to tighten it:
- Close the door using the opener.
- Unplug the power and disengage the opener from the door. To disengage, drag the red manual release rope down using a square rail opener. If you want to use a T-rail opener, pull the release rope down and back to the opener.
- The nuts and the threaded shaft are responsible for the chain tension adjustment. The adjustment nuts can be found on the left side of the rail when you are inside the garage.
- Loosen the nut closest to the overhead door until the chain runs below the rail’s base.
- Slightly release the inner nut to tighten the chain.
- To add the chain’s tension, secure the outer nut (nut closest to the overhead door) tightly. Once you rotate the outer nut, the chain will rise slowly.
- When the chain is approximately ¼ inches for square rail or ½ inches for T-rail above the rail’s base, tighten the inner nut to secure. The chain is finally tightened.
You can also watch this video to further understand the process.
Finally, test out the chain if everything’s working correctly after doing the necessary steps on how to fix a broken garage door opener chain.
Make sure to close and open it a few times to check if adjustments are required. If the chain is still rattling against the rail, tighten the screw bit more.
Give A1 Garage Doors A Call!
Don’t worry about adjusting your chain’s tension from time to time. After all, it can maintain its condition for a year.
However, if the chain is slacking lately, then you need to replace it immediately.
You can count on A1 Garage Doors to repair it for you. With 12 years in the industry, we know how to deal with different types of garage door problems.
Call us now because we are an emergency garage door service ready to serve you any time!
Hope you enjoyed our article titled How To Fix A Broken Garage Door Opener Chain. Besides "How To Fix A Broken Garage Door Opener Chain", feel free to browse our blog for more great content. A1 Garage Doors.
Common garage door repair related FAQ
How long does it take to replace a garage door?
Roughly 3 to 4 hours, if done properly.
How often should my a garage door be serviced?
Your garage door is a large piece of moving equipment made up of many parts. Some families use their garage door more than their front door. We recommend having your garage door and operator serviced every year in order to ensure a properly working door and operator. The noises your door or operator makes are your initial “warning signs” that something is not quite right. The longer you put off the necessary service, the more damage may result.
How long do garage door springs usually last?
The most common torsion springs have an expected life of about 10,000 cycles (one opening and one closing is a cycle.)
What is the life span of a garage door opener?
The average life span of a door opener can vary from 10 to 20 years depending on the model and usage.